What is it?
A tiny link is a short URL that will direct users to the exact event within the OverOps Automated Root Cause screen.
[2019-03-20 14:10:30 TAKIPI] New IndexOutOfBoundsException detected.[ http://tkp.to/hgAdqlNk ] java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Throwing a test exception: IndexOutOfBoundsException [ http://tkp.to/hgAdqlNk ] at Main.Main.Throwing(Main.java:49) at Main.Main.main(Main.java:19)
Why use it?
Turning on ETL is a setting so you get tiny links inserted into the actual exception. If you don’t do this, the tiny link may not be in your logs or attached to the exception.
How to enable?
- Via command line when attaching agent to the application -Dtakipi.etl OR
- Via UI As an admin, a user should go to Advanced in Dashboard settings, click the + to expand the settings for their key. Then check the box for Enable log links for exceptions (requires version 4.9.0 or above)
see https://doc.overops.com/docs/account-settings#section-adding-log-links-tiny-urls-to-the-root-cause for details
- Will enable links within APM tools like Dynatrace, AppD, Splunk, Etc.
- If you are parsing the exception object, Tiny Links could cause you issues
- If you are using JSON exceptions, Tiny Links will cause it to fail due to malformed JSON