HipChat is a tool by Atlassian for team collaboration and messaging. One great feature is its ability to integrate with a wide range of other tools in your environment, including OverOps. The integration between OverOps and HipChat is simple to set up. If you’re using Slack for team collaboration, click here to integrate OverOps and Slack.
When set up, the integration enables you to see all your errors from OverOps in the HipChat room of your choosing.
An error from OverOps in HipChat
In the room you designate, you will see every new error from your app. The type of error, name, and environment will all be listed, as well as a link to the error analysis in OverOps. The message also shows you the call HipChat, and the server and JVM (if you’ve named them) that the error occurred in. Clicking on an error’s name will open up the error analysis screen in OverOps, allowing you to view the exact variable values at the moment of error, and further investigate it.
The integration is easy to set up. OverOps can be added to any existing room, or you can create a new room and have the error updates sent there.
- In your HipChat account, go to the “Integration” section – this can be done either by clicking on the “Integration” button in the upper left corner,
or by clicking on the “…” icon in the upper right panel.
- In the integration screen, choose “Build you own integration”.
- Choose the room in which you want the integration to work in - you can choose an existing room or create a new one.
- Name your integration to create it.
- To integrate OverOps with HipChat, you’ll need to copy the Token generated before saving the integration (as marked below).
- In OverOps, go to your settings dropdown, then choose “HipChat Integration’.
- Enter the room name you want to integrate OverOps into. Note: This must be the same room you created the token for.
- Paste the generated token from HipChat into the HipChat integration window within OverOps.
- Click Save. Once you do that, OverOps will automatically check if the integration was successful.
- OverOps will start sending every new error to your selected Slack channel.
If you wish to turn off the integration after you’ve added it, go the HipChat Integration window in OverOps and tick the slider from On to Off. This will cause OverOps to stop sending errors to your designated Slack channel.