The dashboard provides a simple way to create alerts and integrate them into your workflow. OverOps sends alerts whenever new events occur or when an event exceeds the configured threshold in any of the Views (default or custom).
To manage Alerts:
- From the Views pane, hover over the relevant View and click .
- Select Add Alert.
The Alert Settings dialog box opens.
Alert Settings Dialog Box
- Set the conditions upon which to be alerted - new events submitted into the View and/or exceeding thresholds in the view in a rolling hour window.
- Choose the alert channel - email, Slack, Hipchat, PagerDuty or Jira - and set limitations as required.
For example, if you define a View for NullPointerExceptions, you can then set an alert to know exactly whenever a new NullPointerException is detected anywhere into your environment by turning on new error.
Once an alert is configured for a View, the icon appears beside the View name.
To view of all defined alerts and alert integrations:
- From Settings, select Alerts.
The Alert Setting dialog box opens. It comprises two tabs:
View Settings tab - displays all the current Views configured in OverOps. The alert defined Views are at the top, indicating the configurations of each alert (on new errors/thresholds) and the designated channels for that alert. You can edit alerts from this tab as well, or go to the View Settings dialog by clicking on the “Advanced settings” within the Send to column.
The View Settings tab displays an overview of all views and alerts
Default Settings tab - displays the default alert configurations for the Slack channel, Hipchat room, Jira instance or PagerDuty services.
While Email can be configured per user, the default Slack, Hipchat, Jira and PagerDuty integrations can only be setup by an account admin or owner, as they are shared by all users accessing the installation. Default settings are optional, users can setup the specific alerts in the View's Alert Settings dialog box.
New error alerts are sent when an error matches the View for which it was is defined. The alert includes the installation, application and server in which the error was detected. It also includes the error location, and the full stack trace. Click View Alert to open its Error Analysis screen and explore further.
New Error Alert in Slack
Threshold alerts are triggered when the number of occurrences in the View for which the alert was defined exceeds the threshold in a rolling hour window. The alert includes the View for which it was defined (e.g. "Log errors in App1"), the time window and number of occurrences. It also includes the last five events leading to the alert. Click View Errors to open the View in the dashboard in the exact timeframe in which the threshold was exceeded.
Threshold Alert in Slack
Email digests are sent aggregating new error alerts into a single email once the number of alerts exceeds a specific number over a target window frame.
To set email alerts:
- From Settings, select Alerts.
- From the Alert Settings dialog box, select Default Settings and set email limits.
- From the Views pane, hover over the relevant View and click
- Select Add/Edit Alert.
- From the Alert Settings, choose the Email channel, set limitations as required.
Managing Email Digests
Daily Email Digest
- Login to OverOps.
- From the left-hand menu, click the for any Saved Views that have alerts configured
- Select Edit Alerts
- From the Send to pane, select the Email tab and uncheck the Send Daily Highlights checkbox at the bottom.
- Click Save & Finish.